Would you like to donate to one of our programs or an area resident? All donations are tax deductable. Contact our office at 765-793-4881 or send your donation to:

Community Action Program, Inc. of Western Indiana
418 Washington Street
PO Box 188
Covington, IN 47932

Please make note of the program or individual you wish to contribute to along with your donation. Thanks!





What apartments or housing do you have available for rent?

Visit the Rental Properties page of our website for information about all of our rental units including rent and availability.    


 What are the income guidelines?

Income guidelines vary from property to property and county to county. Some of our properties do not have any guidelines. Not only do we verify that income guidelines are met, but we must also verify that there is enough income coming into the home/apartment to the tenant to pay rent, utilities and have money for other living expenses.

How much do you rent this specific house/apartment for?

Check our website for listings including rent for each unit/house.


Can I have pets in your rentals?

We do not allow pets in our rental properties. Service animals are allowed but must be current on shots and flea treatments and maintained as such.  Renters with service animals must carry renter’s insurance.

Can I make too much money to rent one of your rentals?  

Depends on the property, some have no limit on what you make but others do.

Are your rentals subsidized?

No, our rentals are not subsidized.

What do I have to do to qualify to rent one of your rentals?

You must complete an application to see if you qualify.  Applications are available at our office in Covington or on the Rental Properties page of this website.


Is there a security deposit on your rental properties?

Yes, same as 1 months’ rent. Senior units and some senior renters pay a $200 security Deposit

I need a house immediately. I have been told I have a week to get out of my current home.  Do you have emergency housing?

We do not provide emergency housing. (Check the resource directories on our website for shelters)

How does Section 8 (Rental Assistance) work?

When a family wishes to receive assistance under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) program, the family must submit an application that provides the information needed to determine the family’s eligibility.   Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires Community Action Program to place all families that apply for assistance on a waiting list. When Section 8 assistance becomes available, Community Action Program must select families from the waiting list in accordance with HUD requirements and Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA’s) policies as stated in the administrative plan and the annual plan. Applicants need to be made aware that it can take 2 to 3 years for their name to be pulled from the wait list after filing a preliminary application with Community Action Program. This is due to the set number of voucher slots that are assigned by the State for each county that we cover.

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program provides eligible households vouchers to help pay the rent on privately owned homes of their choosing. A family receiving a voucher must pay at least 30 percent of its monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities.   Income Guidelines, Utility Allowances and Fair Market Rents are set by the State and vary for each county Community Action Program covers. To qualify for the program the family’s gross household income cannot be more than 50% of the Area Medium Income (AMI). When a family is determined to be eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV/Section 8) program, Community Action Program must ensure that the family fully understands the way the program operates and the family’s obligations under the program. This is accomplished through both an oral briefing and provision of a briefing packet containing of the HUD-required documents and other information the family needs to know in order to lease a unit under the program. Once the family is fully informed of the program’s requirements, a voucher is issued. The voucher includes the unit size for which the family qualifies based on the Public Housing Authority’s subsidy standards, as well as the issue and expiration date of the voucher. The voucher is the document that authorizes the family to begin its search for a unit, and limits the amount of time the family has to successfully locate an acceptable unit.

How is funding determined for each county?

The Section 8 tenant-based Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) assistance program is funded by the federal government and administered by the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA).

If I am on Section 8, what happens if I move to another county or out of state?

Section 8 families who are currently residing in Indiana can request a transfer at any time after residing in their current county for one year. They must contact the Community Action Program or Public Housing Authority in the area where they wish to move and get the name, address and phone number of the Agency in the area for which they wish to move.   Upon approval from Community Action Program and Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA) the family would be issued a voucher and have 60 days to find a new residence.  Upon receipt of a family’s written notification that it wishes to move, Community Action Program will determine whether the move is allowable in accordance with the regulations and policies set by HUD and IHCDA. Community Action Program will notify the family in writing of its determination within 10 business days following receipt of the family’s notification.


Do you have someone who can help me file my unemployment claim?

Visit our Employment and Training page of our website for locations. In some locations staff are available to assist you.  There is an uplink where you can file for unemployment on the Employment and Training, Adult and Dislocated Worker Services page of this website.

You used to have someone in the Covington Work One office. I know nothing about computers. Can you help me?

The Covington Work One office is a self-service office. No representative is on hand.  For assistance contact our Crawfordsville office at 765-362-4096.


Are you having the cooling program for this summer?

We did not receive funds this year (2014).

Are you giving away fans/air conditioners this year?

Air conditioners may be available to qualified applicants.  The state no longer provides fans.

I haven’t been notified whether I am on the list for the winter heating assistance this year?

Mail in applications for elderly and disabled are mailed in late summer or early fall.  We generally start scheduling appointments for the Energy Assistance Program in mid-October with appointments scheduled in early November.

Who is the trustee for my county?

Visit the following website to determine who your trustee is for your county and appropriate township trustee:


Or call your County Auditor’s office.

I called my trustee, but their phone number has been disconnected, now what do I do?

Call your county commissioner


How do I apply for Weatherization? 

Contact your local Community Action Program office and ask to speak with someone in our Energy Assistance Program representative. Tell them you would like to sign up for weatherization.   A completed landlord agreement form will be required if you are a renter.  Clients that are already on the Energy Assistance Program can have their application forwarded to the weatherization department.


What are the income guidelines for Weatherization?

Clients are contacted in order by a matrix point system, the higher the matrix points, the higher on the priority list.  Clients that are between 151%-200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines usually have 0 matrix points, therefore aren’t usually weatherized.  A client may be income eligible for weatherization services but their home may not, an auditor will make that determination during his/her visit.

If I qualify for Weatherization, what will be done to my home?

Each home is different; we will not know the scope of work until the home is visited by an energy auditor.  A list of measures that MAY be addressed is posted on the Weatherization page of this website.


How long does the Weatherization process take?

The weatherization process usually takes about 2 weeks from the day the auditor does the initial audit until the work is completed and inspected, waiting to have your home audited can take up to a year from the day you sign up for weatherization. Weatherization does not replace windows, doors, siding, mobile home skirting, or roofs.


Are you still signing up children for Head Start this year?

We take applications and referrals on children year-round.   Parents can call their local centers or speak with anyone in Head Start to have a referral form completed. Parents can also complete the referral form on the Head Start or Early Head Start pages of our website.

Where can I get my child a car seat?

This program is no longer offered within Fountain County.  Visit Safe Kids of Vigo County website at:   http://casyonline.org/youth-prevention-program/safekids/   for information.

Where can I get a voucher for day care?

Call the Children’s Bureau in Lafayette, IN @ 765-838-3805


How do I apply for WIC services?

Please call your local WIC office to make an appointment.  They will tell you what to bring and expect.  A typical appointment lasts 20-30 minutes per person.

What if I move?

If you plan to move somewhere else in Indiana, you can check the website for a listing of all WIC offices in the state at  http://www.in.gov/isdh/19691.htm.  If you plan to move out of Indiana, you can call your local WIC office.

What is a proxy?

A proxy is someone you trust.  You give this permission to cash your WIC checks if you can’t go to the store.  If you assign someone to be a proxy, that person must sign your WIC Participant Booklet and must bring your booklet when cashing checks at the store.  You must make sure that your proxy understands what foods to buy and how to use the WIC checks.  A proxy may also take your place at nutrition education or check issuance appointments.  A proxy is not allowed to replace participants at certification appointments.  They proxy must bring the WIC Participant Booklet to the check pick up along with a valid form of ID.

Why can’t WIC staff talk to my friend or my mother about my child or me?

The WIC program protects your right to privacy.  WIC will not share any information without your permission.  This includes appointment times and medical information.

What if I lose my WIC checks or they are stolen?

If you believe your WIC checks have been stolen, report it to your local police right away.  Lost or stolen WIC checks should also be reported to your local WIC office immediately.  WIC may replace certain checks in rare circumstances with required documentation.

What if I damage my WIC checks?

If you spill something on your checks or rip them, return your checks to your local WIC office.  WIC may replace them.


Who is eligible to ride MAC Van?

Anyone age 60 and over, anyone age 55 and handicapped, also Medicaid recipients with no other means of transportation. We also transport younger handicapped persons as needed.

How do I make an appointment?

If you live in Warren County or the Attica area, call the Williamsport MAC Van office at 765-762-0420.  If you live in Covington or any part of southern Fountain County, call the MAC Van office in Covington at 765-793-4871.  Veedersburg area residents may call either office.

How long before my appointment should I call?

As far in advance as you can.  Our schedule fills quickly.  Some schedule months in advance; some wait till the last minute.  If you book well in advance you are assured of a ride; if you wait, you may or may not fit into the schedule for the day.

How much do you charge?

We strongly encourage donations and have a list of suggested donations posted in each vehicle.  The donations range from $2.00 (Local) to $100.00 (Indianapolis). Most out of town trips average $25.00.  Many Medicaid recipients have transportation covered in their insurance plan.  Medicare does NOT pay for transportation.

What are your hours?

Monday through Friday from 7 am – 5 pm.   The office is open 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.  No week-end service.

Where all do you go?

The focus of the service is transporting senior citizens to medical appointments.  When we have time, we take seniors grocery, pharmacy shopping and transport to senior centers, legal and social service appointments and even to beauty shops.  Non-seniors are only eligible for transport to medical appointments.

Is there an additional fee for someone to go with me?

No, you just donate for your trip.

Who is included and how far do you go?

We transport residents of Fountain and Warren counties – only.  We take riders wherever they need to go for medical appointments.

Are animals allowed on board?

No, service animals only.

Are children allowed to ride along?

You must provide and install the appropriate car seat.  You must place your child in their car seat.

Be Social. Stay Informed.

Get the latest information and stay up to date in current events.

Click to listen highlighted text!